A jackhammer punctured a downtown electrical cable Wednesday afternoon. More than 700 homes and businesses lost power, and the worker using the tool was electrocuted.
St. Joseph’s Medical Center and Stockton City Hall were among the facilities in the dark since about 11:30 a.m. The hospital was relying on emergency generators and functioning normally, a spokeswoman said, although visitors were asked to stay away until power could be restored.
The electrocuted worker was an employee of Crutchfield Construction, according to a Pacific Gas and Electric spokesperson.
For more information on this subject, please refer to the section on Worksite Injuries and Workers Compensation.